The endocrine system regulates the body’s different hormones. Reproductive endocrinology and infertility, also called REI, is a specialty focusing on a woman’s hormonal functioning and its impact on reproduction and fertility.
A reproductive endocrinologist specializes in obstetrics and gynecology and has a subspecialty in REI.
Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility Services at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
At MedStar Georgetown’s Division of Gynecology and Obstetrics, our specialty-trained physicians can help diagnose and treat a wide range of gynecologic endocrine disorders. Often, these hormonal imbalances are at the root of a couple’s infertility.
We diagnose and treat:
- Menstrual disorders, including:
- Amenorrhea, defined as the absence of menstrual bleeding
- Oligomenorrhea, light or infrequent menstruation in women who had previously had regular established periods
- Dysmenorrhea, difficult or painful menstruation
- Hormone imbalances
- Inappropriate lactation
- Precocious and delayed puberty, when the body changes associated with puberty happen unusually earlier or later than normal
- Hirsutism, excessive hair growth on a woman in areas of her body where hair is usually minimal or absent
- Premenstrual syndrome, the physical and emotional symptoms a woman experiences about a week before her period begins
We partner with Shady Grove Fertility Reproductive Science Center for infertility evaluation and diagnostic procedures.
Find a gynecologist who is right for you.