The Ourisman Breast Health Center and the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center feature an array of programs and services to promote comfort, understanding and healing.
- Patient Navigator Program – Provides guides for women undergoing breast surgery or core needle biopsy, accompanying them throughout the hospital and remaining with them before and after the procedure.
- S.O.S. (Survivors Offering Support) – Pairs a trained breast cancer survivor with a newly diagnosed patient to offer emotional support and practical advice for up to a year.
- Support Groups – Includes a program for the patient’s partner or family, and Transition to Wellness for women who have completed treatments.
- Ourisman Breast Health Resource Center – Features educational books, pamphlets, and videos.
- Art Therapy – Helps reduce stress and boredom during chemotherapy or hospitalization.
- Physical Therapy – Helps women recuperate from breast surgery, with education, assessment and exercises to help range of motion after surgery. We also specialize in assessment, education and treatment for lymphedema.
- Clinical Trials – Offer women with certain breast cancers additional options through new or different combinations of therapies, some exclusive to MedStar Georgetown.
- Genetic Testing and Counseling – Helps women with a family history of breast cancer determine their odds of developing disease, and understand their treatment options.
- Nutritional Counseling – Promotes healthy dietary habits, which may reduce the risk of breast cancer.
- Radiation Oncology – Includes external beam and partial breast radiation as a follow-up to surgery in certain cases.
- Second Opinions – Helps assure the right diagnosis and promote peace-of-mind for women who were diagnosed with breast cancer at other facilities