Android Users: Using the Directory with the Kindle Application
Step One: Installing Amazon Kindle
Kindle is a free eBook reader compatible with Android phones and tablets. On some of the newer phones, kindle is already installed. If it is not installed, to get started, go to the Android market and search for 'kindle.' In the list of search results find 'Kindle’ by AMZN MOBILE LLC and install the application.
**Other eBook readers may work, but displaying with the correct format is not guaranteed.**
Step Two: Connecting your Android device to the computer
- To connect an Android device to a computer, a Micro USB cord is required. Some phone chargers can disassemble and become a USB cord. If not, one will have to be purchased for the specific phone.
- After connecting the phone to the computer with the USB cord, a notification will display on the phone in the notifications bar. Dragging the notifications bar down will display a notification titled “USB Connected”. Clicking on the notification opens a window titled “Choose a Connection Type”. Select the “Mount” option, sometimes called “Disk Drive” or “USB Mass Storage”.
- On the computer, sometimes an auto play option will pop up when the phone is plugged in that says “CD Drive (E:)”. Close out of any pop up that asks to open the cd drive.
- On the computer, a second pop up should appear called Removable Disk. Click on “Open folder to view files” in that window.
- This treats the phone like an external hard drive or a flash drive. A Removable disk pop up should appear on the computer. Choose the “Open folder to view files” option.
- If a Removable disk pop up does not appear, click “Start” then “computer”. The phone might display as Removable Disk (F:). Double Click to open. If options are given on how to open the device, choose the “Open folder to view files” option. Otherwise, it should just open to a list of folders and files.
Step Three: Moving the Mobi file to your Android device
- Insert the CD provided and open to display files located on it.
- After following Step 2, once the window showing all the files on the device is open, go into the “kindle” folder. Drag the .mobi file located on the cd into the “kindle” folder on the device.
Step Four: Safely remove the device from the computer. Do not just unplug the device.
Go to “Start” then “Computer” right click on the mobile device, it might be Removable Disk (F:), select Eject. Now it is safe to disconnect the phone from the computer.
Step Five: Reading the file on Kindle.
- After safely removing the device from the computer, open the Kindle app on the device.
- Kindle requires the use of an Amazon.com login. The first time opening the Kindle app, it will prompt you to login. Use a current amazon account login. If you do not have an Amazon account click on the link to register for an amazon.com account. This will give access to an existing Kindle Library as well.
- It opens automatically to the homepage which displays recently read books and documents and recommended readings.
- At the top of the app is a main navigation with the links; Home, On Device, Archive, and Store. Select "On Device".
- The System will automatically grab the .mobi file that was placed in the kindle folder on your device. Click on the PRD 2012 document to open.
Navigate the Table of Contents:
- With the eBook open, click the menu button on the phone. Depending on the phone, this can look different, but normally they are buttons located on the bottom of the screen. These are a few examples:
- After clicking on the menu button, a small window should appear at the bottom of the screen with buttons along the bottom. Click on “Go To”. Another window will pop up. Select “Table of Contents”. Just click on the chapter needed and the device will open to that page.